Thursday, April 25, 2013

NSV - Just Do It!

Have you heard about NSVs?  No?  Weeeell then let me give you the skinny on it.  NSV means ‘Non-Scale Victory’.  Too many of us are constantly in a love/hate relationship with that damn scale.  We step on the scale and cross our fingers – did it go up today, did it go down today?  UGH, we all have got to stop relying on that damn number to give us permission to feel victorious.
 


Let’s all start thinking about why we are working out, eating better, becoming more active, etc and freaking forget about that damn phrase “To lose weight”.  When I started my journey I had zero confidence that I was actually going to lose any pounds – I simply wanted to stop getting fatter and fatter.  So when those NSVs popped up, I was tickled pink!  Eventually they accumulated and the pounds consequently fell too.  NSVs can be even more exciting than seeing that number decrease.  I remember my 1st major NSV, it was to dash up the 3 flights of stairs at work and carry on a conversation with someone without huffing and puffing.  When I did it; I walked taller, I smiled bigger and I felt fantastic – all without seeing a damn number on a scale.
Still not getting the concept of NSV, yet?  Let me give you a few examples….
  • My wedding ring doesn’t leave a mark on my finger anymore
  • When I wear my favorite jeans the ole booty is lookin’ goooood
  • I made it to the gym 3 times this week
  • I increased my distance by X today during my walk/jog/bike ride/ whatever
  • I did NOT eat a donut today when ever other person in the office did.
  • I have the highly-coveted ‘thigh gap’. 
So I challenge each of you (insert dramatic sound effects) to step away from the scale and celebrate your NSVs.  I think it is imperative to celebrate even the smallest victories when you are trying to become a better you.  Comment below and share it with the world, seriously do it!

3 comments:

  1. I have a NSV of having only 1 cup of coffee a day instead of an entire pot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually enjoy working out now and push myself instead of just "coasting."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coffee is ok just get non fat skim milk and splenda

    ReplyDelete